Much to their dismay, our dogs can’t be with us all the time (unless you are Casper (above) who’s parents take him everywhere, including the lake!)
Unfortunately, they might express this disappointment via destructive behaviors (shredding the couch, munching on a shoe, or leaving smelly surprises).
Our animals act out because they miss us, and home just isn’t the
same without their favorite human(s). Making small changes can lead to
Here are 5 tips for keeping Fido entertained when you’re away:
1. Get a pet sitter. A few extra bucks to hire a pet sitter/walker can make all the difference in your dog’s conduct while you’re away. He will get a potty break, playtime, and social interaction, and you’ll get peace of mind knowing your furry child is taken care of. Consider doggie daycare for a full day of canine companionship and exercise!
2. Keep it clean. Just like us, dogs like a clean place. Before you
leave, empty the litter box, remove trash, and clear the clutter. There will be
fewer items for Fido to chew on!
3. Leave a bit of yourself. One mess you can leave is your dirty laundry—dogs love to curl up with things that smells like you, and it can be incredibly comforting to a stressed out animal. If your pet is a chewer, only leave stuff that you can handle being destroyed.
4. Encourage play time. Make sure your dog channels his energy positively by leaving lots of toys around the house. Hide several treat-filled toys around the house to create a “treasure hunt” for Fido.
5. Turn on the TV. Give him a sense of company by leaving the television on for them while you’re gone. Keep the volume low and put on something fun and happy—like a kids’ channel. If you have Direct TV, a specific dog-related channel just launched for $4.99/month-worth the investment!
THE BEST PLACE FOR YOUR DOG IS WITH YOU…WHEREVER YOU ARE!
Be sure to ask about Doolittle’s daycare options! We’d love to help you entertain your furry child!
Hugs and kisses!
The above “tips” found @ “Written by Tails”, an interactive website.